21/02/2014

Water Temple and Small Meditative Space (Columbarium)

    I try to find the principle to design meditative space. So, I researched many cases about meditation, such as, Yoga space, SPA, Tea house, etc. But, the result is abstract. Kengo Kuma said, in traditional Japanese meditative space, people chase the blankness, because empty room makes people to think more. It is philosophical.
    Joe told me there is no principle to design meditative space and even a toilet stall can be a meditative space, because when people close the door, they have their own world. It is a pretty interesting idea.
    Then, I found a case study called "Water Temple" which is a small space. With a turn, this space is dramatic. Designer hide the beauty behind the corner, giving visitors surprise. This way is similar to James Turrell's.








  Next, I organized my small meditative space(actually, they are also columbaria) again, using Turrell's way to hide the beauty and create the contrast of darkness and brightness.


    However, the big meditative space did not use same architectural language. So, I re-organized them again. I used 5 small room to do meditative space.


   



No comments:

Post a Comment